Saturday, November 15, 2014

What is Depression Like?


If someone were to ask me what Depression truly feels like, I wouldn't know the answer. Only those who've dealt with the intense feelings may be able to shed light on what it feels like. It just may be something that even those who've dealt with such feelings cannot even describe. I found some quotes online in my quest to better understand what Depression is like.







"People think depression is sadness. People think depression is crying. People think depression is dressing in black. But people are wrong. Depression is the constant feeling of being numb. Being numb to emotions, being numb to life. You wake up in the morning just to go back to bed again. Days aren't really days; they are just annoying obstacles that need to be faced. And how do you face them? Though medication, through drinking, through smoking, through medication, through drugs, through cutting. When you're depressed you grasp onto anything that can get you through the day. That's what depression is, not sadness or tears, it's the overwhelming sense of numbness and the desire for anything that can help you make it from one day to the next." - http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/psychology/images/33214510/title/depression-photo

"I feel like the weight of the world is resting on my shoulders and there is nothing I can do to get out from under it." 

"And sometimes it hits me out of nowhere, all of a sudden, this overwhelming sadness rushes over me. And I get discouraged and I get upset and I feel hopeless, sad, and hurt. And once again, I feel numb to the world."  http://alexissays.com/depression-in-my-words/

"It's a bit like walking down a long, dark corridor never knowing when the light will go on." - Neil Lennon

"That's the worst thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it's impossible to even see the end. The fog is like a cage without a key." Elizabeth Wurtzel

"Telling someone w/ depression things like "Cheer up." "Get over it." "It's a state of mind," is like telling a blind person ' Just Look Harder."










No comments:

Post a Comment