Friday, November 14, 2014

My International Fugitive Ex- Husband

At age 18, I married a wonderful Hungarian man who was a family friend at the time. When I met him, he was so attractive, and handsome. I think his father encouraged our relationship, and after several dinner parties at my parents house, we started dating. He was 23 at the time, and I was barely 18. He had very nice blue eyes, and blondish hair. When we first met I thought this would be a life-long partnership------, as you can see from the title it ended.


We were together for two and a half years, approximately.  During that time, we went on a honeymoon to Colorado, in his boogie van. It had sparkling red flames on it with silver sparkles surrounding the mini van. It is hard to describe but it resembled the Austin Powers shag mobile. Nice velvet decorated the ceiling, and we were able to park it anywhere on our long journey. We saw Pike's Peak in Colorado. We moved into our own little house in Toronto, which we later updated with the help of his father. We even built a nice deck in the back yard. Due to economic reasons he moved to Edmonton, and worked with my dad as a drywall-er, eventhough he had his license as a master plumber. He left me behind.

Our marriage soured when he got a present in Edmonton from his girlfriend, who I never knew about. I took a trip with his dad to Edmonton and found this out. We never returned to Toronto, and left the clean up, and sale of the house up to our extended family. My ex-wanted to come to British Columbia.

We started a new life, and bought a small house here,  at Panorama Ridge area. It was only $60,000 then with beautiful large trees on it. It became obvious that, his affections was towards the purchase of a Harley Davidson motorcycle and other women, whom he had children with. I found out much later that he had children from two different ladies. He would be often gone on the weekend to pubs, and to the States, where the bars were open on Sundays. I felt very lonely, and eventually accepted an invitation to go to an evangelical church by my neighbour.

 I was working at a few places such as the Commissary at the Bay, in food services. They had five different restaurants and I became accustomed to working at, all. It was a long commute from Surrey to Vancouver daily.
One day after arriving home, I found the house vacant except for my personal belongings. Two vans, our furniture, two dogs, were gone. All I was left with was the clothing on my back. The house later got foreclosed, and I had to move into a basement suite. In hindsight I should have continued making payments on the house, and paid him out. But at 20, I was so infatuated with him, and our relationship, that that is all that mattered. I was devastated.

Legally we divorced around 1984, after praying for a possible reconciliation for at least two years, with my bible study group. All I can say is that God respects everyone's free will. I stayed single till 1987.

Twenty five or so years later, I was watching CBC one evening, and saw the announcement for the next clip, and I saw his face. ........
It happened to be my ex. , who became an international fugitive.  My mother is till grieving the loss of this man. I can provide web page if asked.


3 comments:

  1. Wow Maria it was very interesting I knew about the relationship but what a cross Canada trip but see again God is in control and gave u a special guy and girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please see post titled "Newshour" for indepth story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difficult thing for you to suffer such betrayal especially when you were so young and vulnerable. Thankfully the Lord saw your plight and drew you to Himself...

    ReplyDelete