Monday, November 3, 2014

Fulfilling Destiny -Part 2

I used to be a lot like her when the girls were young. I had a full time job, and an on call job, and four children. I always worked two jobs, because I did not know when we would be displaced next, or layed off in the food services industry. It took me at least 3 years of being on call working 5 hour shifts before I would get a permanent line in Children's Hospital.  I would on occasion commute from a Vancouver Hospital to a White Rock Hospital, on the express bus, in order to leave our Ford van (fix or repair daily) as we experienced, for my capable husband. He would often commute the children to school, or events after school, to swimming lessons or choir.  Eventually, my shifts became long, and I would work only 4 days a week, and had three off. I would commute with the first sky train out in the mornings once we had moved to Surrey. Then I would take a bus from Nanaimo Station, and run the block to make a shift. The single van would be here for my husband and the girls to use. After the lay off at Children's Hospital, I only had a part- time line elsewhere, so I even got a job in Maple Ridge, which is quiet a drive from us.  My husband  was on a disability pension, so his contribution to the family was huge in the sense of cooking a meal and chauffeuring. I would often batch cook, and freeze some lasagne, cabbage rolls, stuffed yellow peppers. Goulash, and crepes was a regular dish at our table. Our girls loved cottage cheese noodles, topped with real bacon bits. Life was busy but very doable. Church on Sundays was a staple. If I worked a morning shift on a Sunday, I would seek out a church that had an evening service at night time. Now I am older and less industrious.I've slowed down. Things around me are becoming a chore or being ignored. Slipping behind.

I asked one of my girls today, if the children with special needs at the schools she teaches at, fulfilled their destiny? Some would even have a hard time understanding what that is. Surely, a physical or mental shortcoming does not make you an invalid in the eyes of God. Of course you are valuable in His eyes!

 I'm reminded of the woman who poured perfume on Jesus' feet.  "While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table. When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. "Why this waste? " they asked. "This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."  Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you , but you will not always have me. When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial.  I tell you the truth, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."Matthew 26:6-13.
This was a simple gesture of gigantic significance, probably one of the most important acts of love anyone has done for Christ. Her work was simple, and we don't read of anything else that she contributed as part of her destiny. See also Luke 7 vs 36-50. Deborah's destiny was fulfilled in the arms of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment