Tuesday, March 17, 2015

O Death, Where is Your Victory?

1 Corinthians 15:53 (Amplified Bible) 52
"In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the [sound of the] last trumpet call. For a trumpet will sound, and the dead [in Christ] will be raised imperishable (free and immune from decay), and we shall be changed (transformed). 53For this perishable [part of us] must put on the imperishable [nature], and this mortal [part of us, this nature that is capable of dying] must put on immortality (freedom from death). 54And when this perishable puts on the imperishable and this that was capable of dying puts on freedom from death, then shall be fulfilled the Scripture that says, Death is swallowed up (utterly vanquished [h]forever) in and unto victory. 55 O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?"

 With every birthday we are getting closer to our death. What was so blatantly  real to me shortly after Deborah's death, was how confidently everyone was going about their business up in Whistler. People enjoying the sunshine, the activities. Now I even see some green tinsel on my neighbors door. I suppose it is for St. Patrick's day, someone I know nothing about. Even "Google" has dancing green men as I search my search engine. This carefree lifestyle is too much to watch. Though we are jubilant on our birthdays, we must realize that we are getting closer and closer to our death. Then comes the reckoning.
For instance I know a young man who wants to settle down, but he is still acting foolishly with his work colleagues. One almost thirty year old man, just bought a game suitable for a child. I wonder when we put away childish things, and act like adults?

In the course of the last six months, I have met people who lost loved ones to suicide. Some lost a spouse, some a child, others a sibling, others a parent. Someone I know had a lung transplant, some had cataracts removed, some had painful gout, some have swollen knees. We forget the brevity of life, and how we will be asked what we did with the talents and gifts God gave us. There will be accountability whether we like it or not. We must realize that time is running short, and there will soon come a day when we can work no more.

Even I, have gotten my option in the mail to retire early. Some people think they will be forever working, and not give a younger person the opportunity to take the position of an old soul.  I talked about this with an 80 year old lady, and she says, that the reason these old, very old, reporters are still on our television screens is because nobody else can do their job. I think we have to have a grip on reality, and see that we are all replaceable, and decaying at a rapid pace.  The bible says, and I'm paraphrasing here, that we digest our own years.

I see people of all ages, with many ailments. Many ailments we cannot see with our physical eyes, but they are there nevertheless; such as a person suffering from lung cancer, alcoholism or a broken heart. These illnesses all take a toll on us, and cripple and kill  us physically, spiritually or emotionally. The most common ailment is aging, especially in countries like Japan, and China. As one Jewish counselor said to us at one time that our greatest commodity is time.

No matter how much we exercise, put moisturizer on our faces, and use sun screen, and watch our diet, our end is inevitable. Why deny this? I will not spend a fortune delaying this inevitability. I embrace what is to come, especially my new body that was promised to us in the bible.9see verse above)

We are told..

"“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal."
Matthew 6:19-20 ESV 


"

No comments:

Post a Comment