Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Mentee or Mentor?

This day was pretty crazy. Morning was spent cleaning, followed by a lunch and meeting with all the ESL volunteer teachers at the church. Discussions included what is the difference between multicultural and intercultural ministries. More volunteers are always prayed for, and sought out. I think overall, the sharing of our lives with new comers to Canada is what is needed. A genuine, caring heart. A hospitable community of encouragement, as well as the learning of the language. Very soon, we will be the Brooklyn of Canada, one volunteer said. ESL (English as a second language) will only continue to grow, and grow.
After the meeting, I was home for a short while, and off again to pick up my Japanese student from her school. I promised that if the weather was nice, I would take her to White Rock Beach. She took many lovely photo's, and we enjoyed the wind blowing in our faces as we walked the dock. The tide was out. I couldn't help but remember that just a little ways, up Deborah was baptized in these waters. I did not have the courage to drive the student there. A scripture verse she highlighted in her bible that I read tonight reads,

" It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait till the Lord comes.  He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts.  At that time each will receive his praise from God. I Cor. 4: 4-5. "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God". 1 Cor. 1 vs 18. "And the god of love and peace will be with you. Greet one another with a holy kiss.  All the saints send their greetings.  May  the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all." 2 Corinthians 13, vs 11-14.

By the time I got home, I prepared dinner, packed the student's lunch for tomorrow; as they are going to the Aquarium, Stanley Park and Gastown. I'm supposed to help with homework, but I am so tired, I just want to collapse. A few encouraging words is all I had to tell my husband after dinner, that he should continue using his sleep apnea machine in our bedroom, so he can have a decent sleep. I will not mind the noise, I promised him. The laundry of my student is still in the machine, and I don't know when I get to raise my feet. Thankfully, it is a brief stay for her, and I am encouraging her to be more assertive, and strong, to have an opinion. I have only a brief time to impact her life, possibly for the future and eternity. Yesterday, we watched Hillsong on you-tube. I told her I hope that Japan will have worshippers like they do in Australia. Currently, the Christians are a minute 2 percent or so of their entire population. I am a mentor to her, and she is the mentee, but does not yet realize it. Our churches must be full of these relationships, where we share our lives, encourage, and support younger women, to love their husbands, and their children. We must help them avoid costly mistakes in their lives. We must be their confidant. There are women out there with no goodly women to give them feedback, or even call a person up for advice. We must teach them those things that will edify them and their families all their lives. We must not allow young lives to be tossed back and forth. We must help them get grounded, even if it is at a cost to us. Our pastor's wife told us that her 12 year old daughter has a mentor too. She is a woman with 3 children and a doctorate. She goes to her with questions that she would be embarrassed to go to her mom about.What a brilliant concept, and idea!  Now pastor's daughter wants to have a big family, and a doctorate as well. I learned that if a mom waits till their daughter is 18 to get a mentor, it will be all too late. So decide now, who will be your son's or daughters mentor for the next many years.
I too must thank the few women and men who have been often silent mentors to me in our church, workplace, or neighbourhood. Their dedication to their families and their community has shed hope for me in the past and present.

No comments:

Post a Comment