Sunday, March 8, 2015

Inflation Knocking

It is one am, a full moon, and both I and my husband are awake. He from his pain in his joints from his auto immune disease and I'm wrestling with all the worries. Yesterday, I was at the graveside, putting water in the vases, and washing the grave marker. It has been dry lately, and all the flowers were thirsty. The sun shone brilliantly. I am occupied more than ever before.

My husband found a place that will do alterations at a reasonable cost, so his wool, black suit will be ready for the wedding. It is a Calvin Klein, and we just did not want to return it to the store in the US as in Canada a suit like that would cost over $600. Thankfully my dress needs no alterations, but I need shoes, still.  The bride to be, last but not least had her second dress fitting, and she purchased her veil. So, she now has her dress, shoes and veil. One more fitting in April up ahead. A few accessories still to find.

Yesterday, I encouraged my husband to get some shed vents with me for our new shed. We went to Rona, and got two white vents, that allows some light through. I told the owner that since it is plastic, the rodents will eat through it, and he said only his bigger stores carry the metal ones. He discounted his two remaining light penetrating vents, and we gladly accepted his new price. I like to support Canadian stores where I can. I won't tell you how much the two vents cost, but sometimes the time invested in the search for a used one is not worth it. We also checked out barbeques at a few places, and they vary in price too. After twenty some years of use, our BBQ was declared unsafe to use, and upon advertising it for free, a metal scrapper gladly picked it up from our front lawn. I think a spanking new one  will make a nice father's day gift, if the children are willing to chip into the cost.

Then we went and got some frozen lasagna's for an event that I'm sure will soon be taking place for the upcoming wedding. Food is always a good investment, as the inflation is profound lately. They gave us 50 air miles for 4 lasagna's, which I was told was a very good deal. I also bought my day old breads, and pizza dough, so today we'll be making home made pizza again, minus the dough preparation. In some stores, the peppers went for $3.99 per pound, and in a local farm it went for .99 cents per pound.

When I went into a pet store the other day to buy cans of no labelled dog food, I was in shock. A flat that previously sold for $22 was now $34, plus taxes. I found two left over beef flats for $27 each, that was still at the somewhat discounted rate. I was floored. Brindle is getting more and more expensive to feed. Then to top it off, in our local paper I read that we have over 30,000 cats roaming Surrey, BC without homes, and in many cases not neutered. I sure hope some funds will go into this epidemic of suffering animals. When I see our three pets getting along, Eva and Moonshine the cat upstairs, Brindle the dog visiting, (almost living here), and Tiger the cat happily at our tenants suite and outdoors, I am feeling so relieved that they have a happy home. Sometimes Moonshine will give Eva a chase, but other days I find them sitting next to each other on the same sofa. They come and visit our beds during the night, and console our souls, only as a faithful pet can. My how we have changed from a no pet family of over 20 years to a house full of pets and action.

Tiger has been spayed since she returned to our home. She was an amazing mother , and now a lovable cat. Her kitten Moonshine continues to be a favourite pet also.

Deborah and Brindle soaking in the sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment