Friday, October 10, 2014

The Goose Story by Dr. Harry Clarke Noyes


When geese fly in formation, they create their own unique form of teamwork. As each bird flaps its wings, it creates uplift for the bird immediately following. By flying in their ‘V', the whole flock adds at least 71% more flying range than if each bird flew on its own. Geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.
When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front. When the lead goose gets tired, it rotates back in the ‘V', and another goose flies point.
When a goose gets sick, or is wounded and falls out of formation, two other geese fall out with their companion and follow it down to lend help and protection. They stay with the fallen goose until it is able to fly, or until it dies, and only then do they launch out on their own, or with another formation to catch up with the group.



I don't think we'll ever understand her parting, and I find myself wrapped up in support groups. I joined a suicide survivors support group, and I also joined a weekly walking group in the cemetery where she is laid to rest. I can truly relate to these folks, though one's horror is amplified as we hear more stories. At first I did not want to go to any form of counseling, and I still haven't. I figure it would be like going to catholic priest for marriage counseling.  In any case these are dear people working out their grief. Some people have lost older children, younger men who have lost wives, and middle age women who have lost their husbands. The spectrum is all encompassing.Perhaps these geese have something to teach us.

I hope that all my readers will have a Blessed Thanksgiving with friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment