Thursday, October 16, 2014

Before the Funeral-Part1

I know as a blogger, I am supposed to write chronologically, and  I have not been good at doing that. I suppose it is because writing about the funeral is so hard that I have been avoiding it like the plague.  Remarkably, and thankfully, Deborah's long time friends and  parents from the Surrey Christian School, and church members where we have been known to attend for many years, have all pulled together the week after her death. She went to youth groups, and since she has attended several schools, word spread quickly of her passing on social media.
One friend, made her a beautiful video on you tube, called Deborah Gordon Rest in Peace,  with scripture verses attached, about her memories. Bogota Columbia is her place of residence since she moved from Surrey. One group of friends  locally, made a memorial site for her by the river shores, close to where her body was found. There were candles, flowers, photographs, and notes of sympathies all over the site.  This was one place I was not strong enough to visit, but my other girls found comfort in going there, especially around the evenings. A pink cross and cedar chest was erected  in memory of her, visible from even the skytrain as it crosses the Fraser River. The young adults would gather and reflect there about her life.
 Visitors kept piling in my door, and flowers would be delivered during the day and night hours. Meals were prepared and brought to our door numerous times. The outpouring of love was ever evident even from people I have never met.  I appreciated those who sat with us in our living room in silence, as really no words were adequate. Some gave us financial help, in secret, so they may receive their reward from God.

I asked my Portuguese neighbor to please water my garden in the coming week, and he did. He was here tenderly caring for my plants the whole time. He's sweet wife, would prepare sandwiches and trays of cakes. They attend a Catholic church, and I couldn't have asked for better neighbors.

It was interesting to see the many talents people had, and how God used those many gifts. One sweet friend, who is the manager of a thrift store for missions, had lively ideas for the decorations that were used throughout the church. The theme I believe was Deborah's love for music. There were rolls of music sheets in the vases on the tables downstairs. Blue hydrangea would  fill  these vases.
My friend arranged for the technological support, and the video recordings.  A young man who at first thought he would not be able to do it, as he wanted to be part of the service, agreed to this very difficult task. Our video would turn out to be more than 9 minutes, eventhough 6 minutes  in total was recommended. She liasoned  with the church secretary and pastors, and made sure that everything ran smoothly. Pastor Sam from Calvary Worship Centre would do the officiating at the service and Pastor Wes from Surrey Pentecostal would come to the graveside with us afterwards.
The night before, was when the decorations and memorabilia's such as Deborah's violin was taken to the church. Theme colours were pink and blue. All the photo albums she assembled herself were on the tables. Arts and crafts from kindergarten all the way to her graduation diploma's were displayed. The only thing that I purchased and went out to get was the guest books, at Michael's with the signature papers, and a black hat. The manager at Michael's was very kind, and seeing my near collapse in his store, and rush to the bathroom, he gave my oldest daughter a considerable discount. My neighbor who is gifted on the sewing machine took in my dress a few days prior, and lent me a black shawl, that was not so heavy, since the weather would be beautiful that day.

My friend who is a cook with a Red Seal, also a dear sister in Christ just recently bought some meat slicing machines, and she was able to slice bulk sandwich meats, and cheeses from the States. I was able to give her some vegetables from the garden, such as zucchini, onions and cucumbers. She bought everything the day before, and the volunteers assembled all the food in the morning. It was very hard to know how many people we would be expecting, as Pastor Wes indicated that usually about half of the number of people that we expect would usually show. Therefore, it was very difficult to know how many people to prepare the food for. This gem of a lady teaches high school children to cook, and does catering for various functions as well. She made Greek wraps, sandwiches on buns, veggie platters, and fruit platters. I think there was no lack of any good thing. People lingered around till we got back from the burial site, and there was still plenty of food left. In total there was over 500 people , and some had only standing room.

                                                                                                                             cont'd

No comments:

Post a Comment