Sunday, October 26, 2014

Deborah the Person


I am afraid of loosing sight, and memory of the wonderful person  Deborah was. I think in time, the way she passed and the devastation surrounding it will be replaced by her memory, and the support we benefited from in our time of loss.

 I could not have had a more sweeter daughter. I referred to her as the cherry on the top, in my introduction and she was so much more. She was the dessert that you all love, (my favorite is pureed chestnut pressed through a press so it looks like spaghetti strands with home made whipping cream). She is  the dew on the grass, the crispness of the mountain air, the joy of our hearts, the lavishness of laughter, the burp that would make any Chinese proud, and the friend that would never let you down. She was a sister who held you close. A student who tried hard to please and a daughter who delighted us

I'm told she could do the work in one hour that another person would take four hours to accomplish. She was excellent as a car driver, a cyclist, and a hiker. I remember once we did the sea wall bicycle ride in Stanley Park. I wanted the day to be special, just me and her. I followed her vigorously, and somehow we ended up going the opposite way around the trails. We zipped through apartments, streets, and went as far as Science World, and I figured we must be lost by now. Deborah was not disappointed. She reveled at the fact that we got lost. I don't plan on ever doing this trip again, and I suppose I'll never know the direction we were to go.
 Recently, I found out from a youth group leader that Deborah, gave the best massage ever.  Shoulders and feet. How sweet and humbling to do this; for a duration of over a half an hour. She sought out opportunities to serve and to encourage you. Jesus even washed the feet of His disciples and this was a complete exercise in humility. I wish I had benefited from such a luxurious treat, but I got to love her and hold her close at home.

I would see her play the piano for the "English as a second Language" bible study group. I would get to hear her practice for her Royal Conservatory Exam. I sat beside her in many car rides to swimming lessons, choir practices, piano and violin lessons. I picked her up from her symphony classes on Saturdays, and I got to help her with homework when I was still able to help. I got to see her sun tan in our back yard, and prepare delicious meals for her.

Deborah did everything heartily, and her presence filled the room completely. Her zeal to bake or cook with her friends was awesome to see. One time around Christmas she would make soap with her friend. The soaps had many colours and shapes. Their attire included aprons, rubber gloves and sometimes a hair net.
We would also make popsicle together, and cakes and cabbage roll, and stuffed peppers. Different school projects included volcanoes, an ecosystem in a contained jar, molecules of many sizes and colours and the list goes on. Oh, how sadly you are missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment