Thursday, June 18, 2015

I'm Cooking Again-Lentil Like Beans


tem Category: Lentils (Dals) & Beans >I have taken a break from cooking after the wedding. I broke that bliss by going to the Superstore and bought a few items to keep me busy for a few days. I bought some pinto beans, which makes a complete protein combined with rice. My attention was also grabbed by black matpe beans on sale. I recall making some bean burritos with these beans a long time ago. I garnished the flavorful beans with a slice of red pepper and sharp cheese and start wrapping them.  Tomorrow, after soaking the beans overnight, I can proceed with the preperation of these babies. I will freeze them also for later use. You can be as creative as you like in how you prepare the beans. You can have garlic, onions, peppers, tomato sauce, chilli or whatever, in your delicious mix. My pantry is now complete with the beans, since my rice has already been purchased. I want to set a good example for my children in preparing home made meals. An order of Snitzel cost us $14 at an ordinary restaurant, the other day. I told my husband to consider it his Father's day restaurant meal. For the same cost I bought approximately 25 servings of pork meals. I will make a pork stew, pork chops etc from one big piece of pork shoulder.  I'm not fond of pork, but occasionally we do eat it, as it is a staple of European diet. I like ribs occasionally. By occasionally, I mean very rarely. When you think of us in the next few days, think of beans.. beans everywhere.

 
Urud Whole Black (Black Matpe Beans)
2733
From NZ$4.99
View Urud Whole Black (Black Matpe Beans)
 
Urud Whole Black (Black Matpe Beans Polished)
Also called Black Beluga Lentils. Whole Urad dal/dahl is used more like a chili or stew than a soup or dal/dahl. These lentil-like beans have black skins covering creamy white interiors. Whole urad dal/dahl derive their strong, rich, earthy flavor from the black skins. and have an uncanny ability to absorb flavors.  Best when soaked for about 4 hours or overnight. All natural. Friend of the heart. Diets rich in whole grain foods and other plant foods low in total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease and some cancers.
Recipe :
Whole Urad Dal Chili or Mah ki Dal from the North Indian State of Punjab
Ingredients
1 cup mah dal (black lentils or whole urad dal)
6 cups water
1 fresh green chili chopped
3 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
1 inch ginger, peeled and chopped into tiny pieces
2 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoon heavy cream (optional - makes it more digestible and boosts the protein in the dish)
Juice of one lime
cilantro leaves to garnish
Wash the dal in several changes of water. Drain and add the water. Add salt, coriander powder and half of the ginger; cook on low heat for 2 - 3 hours or pressure cook for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the oil, add remaining ginger, chili, and fry until golden brown. Add the cumin and pepper and stir. Pour this mixture into the dal and simmer for at least another 30 minutes. Add heavy cream and simmer until the lentils are thoroughly soft. Add lime juice, Stir.  Garnish with cilantro leaves before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment