Saturday, June 13, 2015

Encouraging Visit

Off to their Honeymoon
Do you have a friend who once in a blue moon announces they want to see you, and take a huge effort to make the trip? I just had that happen to me. A friend of many years who has had significant health challenges herself, came over in an elevated truck. She is soon 80 years of age, and used a mini stool to get into the truck, but really needed a small ladder by my estimation, when I saw her attempt to get back in the truck upon her departure. Her name is Rosa, and she is Italian. Her character is robust, delicate and a true powerhouse. She came by to congratulate the young couple before they left for their honeymoon.
 She has known our family since our daughters were young, and every six months or so she decides to pay us a visit. She is never demanding herself; doesn't say, oh, I wish you came over for a visit, or do this or that. She only seems to enjoy giving. She brought me two loaves of European breads, olive oil in a glass bottle, hibiscus tea, pasta of course, a blouse, and a silk skirt. The honeymooners also got a monetary gift, and a lovely card. Her visit is always simple and loving. Her prayers upon the young ones in the home, ever so kind and so natural. She looked at the shed outside that we built, and praised the builder. She tasted my stuffed Hungarian peppers, and lavished for an hour or so, until her driver indicated that he must go on to his next destination. She graciously said her goodbye's and proceeded to this massive pick up truck. I know she paid money to be brought over to our home, to appease the gas guzzler. We tried a taller stool to get her pretty lace black skirt in with her somewhat swollen legs. She crawled in like a bear would into it's cave. We blew kisses to each other, and were ever so grateful for this opportunity to visit. She lives in the Italian home and takes care of the vegetable garden there. Her legacy will be her work on Commercial Drive, where she witnesses for Jesus year after year. She talks with and helps strangers. Her professed goal is to win a million souls to Jesus. What an aspiration! She has been threatened, spit on and spoken to with derogatory words. I can't even say that I have a photo of her, but she will forever be in our hearts. Her faith is contagious. Her spirit of love, overflowing. I just love visits like this.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing all my friends from the walking group at Valley View Funeral Home tomorrow. It has been a while since I saw them, and I can't wait to catch up with all their lives. All the continuum without their loved one.

    ReplyDelete