Friday, December 12, 2014

My Weakness-Shopping

I love sales! I don't know how to tell you this, but whenever a store closes I am right there. When Zellers closed in White Rock, I was there, when Sears closed in Vancouver, I was there, when Zellers closed at Surrey Central, I was there,when Sears is closing in Richmond, I am there.

Usually, I come up with good reasons why I need to shop. For instance, we need shoes, or curtains, or bathing suits for the girls, you name it. My brain automatically lights up, as to how much savings I will incurr. I do not think about how much money I will spend. One time I got slippers, good leather ones, the moccasin type for 12 dollars each. I probably bought 8 slippers at once.  I rejoice, and literally brag about the savings, that is why I call it my weakness.

The last time this past summer I went with my husband and Deborah to a white elephant sale, as we call it here (all used things) in a retirement home. We picked up end glass tables, and entertainment centre for Deborah, all for under 25 dollars. Every item was half off. I tend to buy bar chairs, because I very well know that unless what I have is sturdy, it will break in a matter of time, and will need a replacement. So my style of shopping you can say is buy for the tomorrow, when the price is right today. Of course I never pay what the asking price is in the case of an estate or garage sale, and my store discounts have to be at least around 70 percent for me to bite.

The other day I went to Sears in order to buy wedding/engagement decorations for my daughters upcoming wedding. Everything that was gold and white that was ornamental, and was left in the store I bought. I bought candles, candle holders, crystal gold bling, like chandelier shapes, and pale gold vases for tables. I couldn't believe the sales, and the cashier had the boxes delivered to the shipping yard for pick up.I will also hopefully have an artistic friend give us some ideas on how to assemble these blings so they look their best for our events.

I always buy good quality, on sale. For instance I also picked up a hundred dollar shoe for my husband for twenty four dollars. He goes through shoes like hotcakes. These have no laces and are sturdy leather. Since he has a large size feet, sometimes these shoes have further discounts, and I happened to land on it. So today, I am facing great temptation to go back, perhaps for shoes, or leather gloves.  I bought one of my girls her nurses watch at Sears also. It was discounted like you would not believe. Sadly, for the first time in my life, I was offered a seniors discount. I suppose there is no hiding that I am almost there, soon fifty five, so I humbly accepted the additional discount. As Deborah's friend told everyone at the funeral, Deborah too would always have presents wrapped and ready to go for special events. She treasured giving, and I suppose it gives me great pleasure in giving to others, when it is within my ability to do so. I sort of feel like those crazy couponers in the States, who have an abundance of leftovers, so they can be a blessing to others by their prudence. I believe there will be many more store closers in the future, especially in January when leases will not be renewed, so keep some change in your pockets, and buy wisely.

 Oh Lord, come quickly. Please deliver me from all temptation.


1 comment:

  1. Great post Maria. I could certainly identify with your excitement over bargain hunting. I have the same weakness and fun!

    ReplyDelete