Thursday, December 4, 2014

32 Hungarian Foods the Whole World Should Know About


My tenant brought this web page to my attention. Once talking about it, he realized that infact, he has tried most of these 32 foods, by living close to us.  I always cooked instead of bought ready foods, in order to be more cost effective for our family, and serve more healthy than pre packaged foods. I  just made a big pot of cabbage rolls  which were delicious for Erica's engagement along with other entrees. My girls love the cottage cheese noodles with the bacon, and the Rakott Krumpli, which I made tonight. You need to get the mild Hungarian kolbasza for this. My father loved using the caldron to make his Gulash with, and I am happy to keep our traditions with the food. For instance, there are rarely weddings in Hungary that do not offer a plate of delicious chicken soup, made with the specialty "csiga" noodles. I am hopeful that at my daughters wedding, there may be soup on the menu as well. 

I will be making "Elephant Ears" or Langos very soon. I simplify the recipe and use the frozen bread dough that is all ready in the frozen section of most grocery stores.  One of the more tedious recipies is the 'Kremes", and I will share with my readers a quicker version using cooked Oekter Pudding. When I had dispatched my husband and daughter to get me 3 of these packages, they spent close to 4 hours going to 5 different stores to find it. The vendors would look at them strangely, as to why would anybody be cooking pudding. Walmart, Safeway, Italian Deli, etc all didn't have it. Finally, the Superstore in Newton carried it. So the lesson is to stock up when you can, it really is worth the effort. 

Sometimes I use this cooled cooked vanilla pudding on top of my lady fingers that I buy ready made in an Italian store or wherever it is cheapest. I dip the lady fingers in diluted rum, place on bottom of dish, pour some of the pudding on top, place frozen berries (I like strawberries and raspberries), cover with home made whipping cream, and repeat, finishing with the lady fingers. No cooking necessary as the pudding is already cooked. Scoop into dishes. This is a very light but delicious dessert. 

Lately, I have been very tired. My husband is turning 50 this weekend. I hope I can hold it together until then.

Another  soup recipe to try sent by my cousin from Hungary.
 http://haromhatar.hu/index.php/receptek/tajjellegu-etelek/1487-kotott-teszta-leves

No comments:

Post a Comment