Sunday, December 7, 2014

Deborah's Dad Turned 50

 We are still recovering from the aftermath of attempting to pull off a surprise 50th birthday party. Ron turned 50 yesterday, and considering his many medical ailments this has truly been a miracle of God. He has an auto immune disease and the dear man is in pain most of the days and nights. Deborah was all too aware of his health condition, and we all tried our best to not be too demanding of him, especially on his off days.

The party preparation was something else. I bought supplies ahead of time. I prepared the potato salad, pasta salad with feta cheese and olives, and sun dried tomatoes also a day or two before. I went downtown to buy some smoked ribs only to find the store closed on Commercial drive due to renovations till next April. Back up plan was to go to a Polish store, to get the meat items. I pulled out from the freezer the big turkey pot full of cabbage rolls in my garage, the day before, and covered it so it will not be conspicuous. I also did not want any critters that may have run into our garage to take shelter from the cold to start munching away at my delicacies.

There was plans to take Ron to the rifle range the morning of his birthday, in order to allow us time to set up. Unfortunately, it did not open till noon, so the back up plan then was to take him out for breakfast and then to a movie. So at ten in the morning off went my eldest with her dad, and the rest of us started the motion.

Furniture was rearranged, carpets were rolled up, cutlery and glasses were re washed. A dear friend arrived with balloons, and 50 year birthday signs, and streamers. Her job was to do the decorations. We focused on appetizers, which I didn't even think of making. The punch was ready to be made, as frozen strawberries and raspberries emerged from my freezer. The biggest challenge was how would I prepare the smoked ribs. I had a small jar of BBQ sauce that was appropriate for ribs in my possession. I poured it on 6 long ribs, along with olive oil, bacon fat, crushed garlic, a little water, and who knows what else.I assigned one sweet lady with a teenager to welcome the guests, and put their coat in my daughters room. I was barely getting showered and dressed when the guests started to arrive.

We ate through the appetizers and enjoyed conversation, but still Ron was not here. The movie ended up being over 3 hours in lenght, so it was 3 o'clock before they arrived, in a semi surprised state, as Ron sensed that somehow he was set up that day. Visitors included some from our old church in Vancouver, Arne Bryan from Prayer Canada, family friends who we have known for over 25 years, and some new friends.

The desserts were also a highlight of the night, as I made "Francia Kremes", his cake had a fishing rod with a caught fish on it. Cookies included masculine looking ones with the #50 on them with blue icing on chocolate cookies, some had blue candles, and others for us girls had pink balloons with the number 50 in them. A delightful friend took meticulous effort to ask me earlier what was Ron's favourite colour and flavour. I told her blue and Pepsi, and lo and behold the cupcakes tasted like Pepsi Cola.  Wow! how personal. I had no idea that, that is why she was asking. It would be selfish of me NOT  to share the Ultimate Salvation Walk Through with you in the blog link below. The ultimate Father, the Creator, is worthy of our ultimate Praise, and Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PaOzTbGlsU&list=PL390C08B1C7D6B698




No comments:

Post a Comment