Thursday, April 30, 2015

Texting and the Dentist

It is very late now, and just thought that I'd log in to see this technology called the computer. I often refer to the cell phones as the "crystal ball". People face down into it, filling their mind with yet one more bit of information, or text from someone. Generally, most people very into electrical gadgets have very poor interpersonal skills. It will take a great amount of effort to come across as somewhat social, when from a young age, hours upon hours are spent in front of the television, and now the cell phone/computer. I know too many relationships where due to misunderstanding from text ting, the virtual reality is no reality. Relationships cannot progress, and are hindered, and ended over a word here or a word there. So many misunderstandings occur over the phone texts, yet people refuse to attempt a face to face relationship. Today as I was in an elevator, I saw a mother texting, while her daughter was staring at the walls, being ignored. I wondered what must have gone on in the heart of that child. The phone superseded the humanity the child was waiting to engage in. People end and start relationships in a haste over the telephone messages, only to have a misunderstanding via the text. It is hard for me to explain, but perhaps you know. Emptiness fills the air waves, as the contact becomes superficial, instead of intimate. People can no longer express themselves on a deep level, as we are distracted by all the beeps and constant nuisance of the texting world. In fact, some lives are in jeopardy as texts seem to have the urgency of being tended to, thus the likelihood of an accident to occur, for instance with a roofer, or a long distance driver. I even got nailed the other day, as I tended to a phone call in my car.

Overall, my life lately has been that of a firefly. I've been flying here and there. One day I'm getting wood supplies at a lumber yard, in order to finish our shed for the upcoming company.  The other day, we are painting the walls and ceilings, in order to freshen the house, after it's been neglected for seven years. My daughter also got the bug to paint as she washed walls and did much of the painting in her room a few days ago. Of course the preparation work takes longer than the actual painting, but such is life. God also prepares us in many ways, in order to refine us into that special jewel. The following day, we may be hauling stuff out to the curb, as our tenant is leaving and my soon to be married daughter, yet to clean, paint and occupy the suite with her new husband. Baking is also on the horizon, but first I must buy fresh flour, and ingredients for the arduous process. So I have been offered a lot of help in this terrain of baking mastery.

Today, I have bought pizza and Polish hot dogs from Cosco, in order to appease our hunger. I was a nurse earlier, and had no time to cook, driving my daughter to the city to have 4 wisdom teeth removed.  She was really funny afterwards as the gauze in her mouth made her look somewhat like a chipmunk, and the two strings were hanging out of her mouth, I suppose to help us yank them out in case she accidentally developed an appetite for them. Despite her drowsy, medicated state, we giggled, as she tried to hide her mouth in my scarf, thus looking like an Arab lady, so people would not be made aware of her funny countenance. I was made aware that dentistry is not covered under our government insurance, and had I not had private insurance, and my daughter was not a full time student, this little procedure would have cost her over $2,000. Instead she payed around $200, but in my view, it was a necessary surgery, certainly not a cosmetic one, per her dentist. Just as a side note, apparently, dentists and accountants have a high rate of suicide. I was wondering how this young surgeon will fare, who took out my girl's wisdom teeth. I suspect he will fare quiet well, as none of his patients will talk back to him, or express anger or fear. All he has to do is make the patient  unconscious with the IV drip and then there will be no stress expressed from the patient. Perhaps it is the other types of dentists who have to drill, and give needles who are more prone to this tragic end. After we got home my young adult daughter was propped up in bed with two ice packs on either side of her cheeks. It was nice to see her eating a few little mouthfuls of fast food, after all the shepherd's pie disappeared that my husband prepared earlier.  I suppose there are some days when we just eat more than other days. I've also been helping my husband deliver his papers as he is medically unfit now to carry on doing it. I think I'm trimming up, and have become a little faster on my feet. Everyday is a huge challenge, hurt, wondering why Deborah is gone, and only her memory will live on, and we are left struggling day by day.
P.S I don't text.

No comments:

Post a Comment