Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Poured Out

Phillipians 2:17 Berean version

"But even if I am being poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all".

2 Timothy 4:6 New International Version
 "For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near."

 This is the context of the above scripture in Timothy
Preach the Word
5But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. 6For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. 7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith;…

What a wonderful picture of Pauls life, being poured out. What delight to pour our lives out for the Master.
There have been some days when I am running around, pushed to the limit, making deadlines, taking care of house, garden, family, and some work. Sometimes it seems intangible, a phone call, or a gentle touch of encouragement, or a card or letter. Answering that phone, that you know will take half an hour out of your life. Cleaning the bathtubs, and stairs, watering the garden when the allotted time is 4 am to 9 am. I have poured everything I have into family, extended family, neighbors, work and community. I have not hid from responsibility, hard work, or discomfort. I have fought for my family, to protect them, to care for them, often to the detriment of my own health. I think my greatest failure has been to be a patient listener. My cup has often been full of persons repeating the same ideas, or sentences to me over the years, only to explain and re-explain why that idea won't work. I would say, that this has been my greatest vice, only to remember that God has been so patient with me also. He built empathy in me for others, when I was convinced that these folks do not deserve such compassion. I have often been tired of giving and giving without boarders, or boundaries only in the end to be not appreciated. I am glad that this roller coaster of life is soon ending, and a new Universe awaits us, one that is much more compassionate and caring. All the things around me are just things, material things I'll gladly leave behind. My treasures are laid down where it is incorruptible. I feel that the race has been run. My hands are sore, my feet get swollen, my belly fat is growing, my foot arch is failing. My body is a wreck, ready for a new one. It has done it's usefulness. Bore four children, took care of six of us. My hands have helped with school work, music lessons, cooking, cleaning, and traylines, many traylines in hospitals. My hands have cut toe nails, and fingernails for most of us, and bartered for services.  It consoled, comforted, and beautified all that was around me. I have reveled at garage sales, to preserve our cash flow, and create a classy, yet elegant home. I have worshiped with all my being, in Spirit and in Truth. I must hang up the hat now, and continue to see what God will accomplish with this old clay, that all the air has been punched out of. Hello Heaven, here comes your Church!

John 9:4
New Living Translation
We must quickly carry out the tasks assigned us by the one who sent us. The night is coming, and then no one can work.

No comments:

Post a Comment