Saturday, August 22, 2015

Touchy Topic of Excercise

I am generally an optimist with  a caution, and like to tell you that exercise will do wonders for you. However, we are clearly told in the bible that bodily exercise profits little..I Timothy 4:8 says New International Version says,
For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. I have been on a few occasions tried to be recruited for Zumba classes.  As much as I appreciate the invitation and know that the intentions of the individual is gracious, I have declined along the way. I am certain that my curvy figure has suggested that I am a sloth to some, but I expressed to this individual, that the least of my priority right now is my flesh. Have we tried to recruit with as great a candor others to the love and knowledge of Jesus? Have we gone to do prison ministry, clothe the poor, and feed the hungry? In the event that we don't have time to do these things, then I believe that excercise should be on the back burner, after spiritual study. Perhaps in time of hunger, I will last a little longer, and I'm sure my weight will not come in the way for Jesus to translate me to the afterlife. At the age of 55, I am feeling my age, and don't wish to reclaim my body to work like a 20 year olds. This is my choice. I am not a sluggard, I do many things for my family, and help others where I can. Some folks simply can't go into vigorous exercise classes because they are on disability pensions, and surely, they will not jeopardize loosing it for making an appearance in shorts at a fitness class.

Wether or not, exercise would make me a more confident person with self esteem or a more agile one is questionable. I know that it did not help my daughter Deborah, who did go to the gym regularly. Despite how good she looked, she still took her life. 
I am more flexible than a young person, having taken ballet in my younger years, and if required, I will outwork any young person if needed. Perhaps at that point adrenaline would kick in. Yet, as we age, and have pins in our bodies, and arthritis here and there, it is questionable if movement alone will extend ones life. I have heard of many young people die, unexpectedly, even as they are on soccer teams, and hockey teams. Having spoken recently to a lady who works in a physiotherapists office, she says that most of the injuries they are treating are sports related. 


In the book called "The Screwtape Letters", the uncle demon instructs his nephew demon about how to botch up the Christians life. One of the techniques he recommends is that the women get so thin that they are unable to bear children. Basically, that they do not even have menses cycles, so that there would be no offsprings among the believers, thereby hindering God's plans. Dr. Joel Wallach outright tells American people that it kills you. I personally know young family members who have soar backs, crackling ankles, among other things, and they have not even reached the age of 30, due to over exercise. It breaks my heart that this industry is so over rated, and people flock and spend so much time and money on this endeavor. Today, I had a rude awakening, as I tried to tell a sweet Phillipino Catholic about the Lord's return, and she excused herself to attend a prison ministry. We will ultimately be rewarded for what we did for Christ's sake, not how many hours we spent in the gym, away from our families. I hope that I have not offended anyone, these are just my personal beliefs. Please don't invite me to the gym just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment