Friday, July 31, 2015

My Vacations

Vacations are something quiet common and natural here in the western world. People take them in the summer, or perhaps in the winter months to somewhere tropical destinations. Now we hear that the American's are coming to Canada because of the weak dollar that we have. Fewer and fewer cars go over to America from our boarders as our money has lost a quarter of it's worth so far.... I know some countries are very liberal with their holiday excursions, especially if an employee has been faithful to the same company for decades. A month is even allowed in countries like Germany and Switzerland or Holland.

I cannot relate to such relaxing vacations, as to be honest, I have not had a relaxing or really any vacation for the last 29 years of my married life. Family, work, has always been on the forefront of my responsibilities. Also, financially, we never were able to take any meaningful trip, other than a weekend to visit in-laws, or my father when he was ill. Camping with a church has been the closest  I came to not having to cook, or clean house. Usually, there would be activities for the children, and we had sponsors to send us away for a week for the summer, when the children were young. With my husbands disability status, these camping outings were covered cost wise when the kids were young. Vernon, or Brackendale were two of these campsites that we went to. The children could enjoy the swimming pool, swings, and trampolines that occupied the campground, while the adults went golfing or out to town for a day's shopping. It is such a lovely retreat, to go out in nature. As we got older and the children became teenagers, we found the tents/dorms a little uncomfortable. The water also in these places would make my legs swell, since perhaps the sulphates in the water did not agree with me. So by the end of the first few days, I had legs twice the size that they normally would be. Even so, the children had a good time, and really that is all that mattered. I was thanking God for the fact that I did not have to cook for a week. Often on family nights, my children would sing, or perform on their violins/ flutes to show their appreciation for being part of the family of God. I have a few memorable pictures of such days. Some of the skits were hilarious! One such portrayal was a woman putting her make up on while someone else s hands from behind here would apply the powder, and rouge. Another skit would be when a person behind a bed sheet would sneeze, and the person on the other side of the sheet would increase the quantity of the sneeze liquid, by eventually pouring a whole bucket of water unto the head of the person who sneezed, over the top of the dividing sheet. Great times, great memories, good food, and laughter.I think the first thing I will do after I arrive in Heaven, lay down my crowns at His feet and with Jesus defeat Satan, is to go on a long holiday..

No comments:

Post a Comment