Friday, July 17, 2015

Barbeque at the Courtyard

Today was a very special day. I and my husband went to a BBQ at the Valley View Funeral home.  All the folks have been touched by suicide or homicide in some way. All we had to contribute was some salad or dessert, and everything else was prepared for us by the sweet facilitators at Valley View in Surrey. It sure meant a lot to visit with former class members, and meet some of the new families who have gone through the course. Cast iron chairs and tables, beautiful flowering vine on the walls, birds fluttering by, and the smell of the BBQ stimulated our senses. It was like a big family, all enjoying an evening together. Even going to the powder room was a treat. I thought I was in a grand hotel, or something, it was gloriously upgraded.
One humble teacher at a university who lost a daughter to suicide, shared in her joy of having one of her literary pieces published. One young man who lost his father played the guitar for us towards the end of the evening. I shared wedding pictures of June 6th with several interested folks. I so appreciated one lady there, who helped me get through that wedding day, as well. I have made a new friend, during my time of grief. How privileged I am, to have been picked up, literally, and encouraged to walk again. The pain doesn't go away, but as an old man expressed, who has lost his best friend at age 30, "we are not consumed by it 24 hours a day", though the tears and pain is still raw. He said, "I am as healed as I will be." He is now a facilitator for the homicide group. We ended up leaving with a half a delicious lemon pie.

Before dinner we visited Deborah's grave,... still torn with emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment