Monday, January 19, 2015

My Birthday

Today is my 55th birthday. I'm not exactly sure what awaits this day, except I had a miserable night as usual. A painful back, frequent urination, and thoughts that won't go away. The nights are long, and I wake up exhausted. My kitchen is a mess, and I have ice forming at the bottom of my fridge which when fills, starts to melt to my kitchen floor. The Sears mechanic called off his visit last week, as he had too many calls on the list, so we had to rebook this for next Saturday. We have insurance for our dishwasher, so we will save on an additional service call for the fridge.
Yesterday, I went to visit a newborn premature baby. He was so sweet, so tiny, a month early. The parents did not even have suitable clothing for him, being so small, and the first boy in the family. The vision of the little boy swaddling in a blanket, when the mother washed his only garment made me reflect on the baby in the manger. No heat, no electricity, only the hay fragrant barn and warmth. I didn't realize that the baby sleeps more because he is so young, and I didn't realize that he was jaundiced, because he appeared more red than yellow.  Today, I mentioned to the mother that if she was to increase the size of the small hole on the nipple of the bottle, he would have the mother's milk flow more readily. I also told her that if he falls asleep during feeding, to just start playing with his toes, to encourage his feeding, and wake up time. The best way to get rid of jaundice is to have the baby nurse more. The last thing a young couple needs is to go back to the hospital with a sick baby, needing to be put under some lights. The La Leche League of Canada       http://www.lllc.ca/
is a wonderful source for parents who want to nurse their children. They will even come to your home to help you with this beautiful endeavor of nourishing your baby.

The other reason I had a rough night was because I can't stop thinking about Deborah. I so miss her smile, her voice, her activities, her stories, her endeavors, her scent. She would spray this awful cologne all over herself before going out. It wasn't "real" perfume, so I don't think much of it, but now, even this little thing she did is missed. Apparently, some highschool students performed a competing lyrical, ( a dance with a story intertwined in it). It was video taped, and all the judged and all the students apparently cried.  They will perform it sometime in the future, but I wish I had not found out about it, after the performance, via social media.

I must go and take my husband in to the hospital, he is having a procedure, to find out the persistent pain in his stomach. 

May God give us the grace to do all we do in love in these last days, as the King is coming back, not as a baby but as the Lion of Judah. According to our pastor's sermon this Sunday, we must go to the Upper Room frequently, and win our battles on our knees. Get our Phd's from Kneeology, instead of theology was one line from his message.

No comments:

Post a Comment