Friday, January 9, 2015

Golden Glass Plates

It seems like a story out of a dream, but I am still in the nightmare of our loss.  We are in full preperation for the wedding day. What made it even sweeter is that I heard from my mom in Florida. It is refreshing to have received a letter from her, and a birthday card for me. She is affirming that her intention is to stay in her home and live independently as long as possible. She has a housecleaner, and a gardener and that is exactly what she needs. I am so happy. Even my daughters received birthday cards, with a token of a post dated cheque for their personal use. I can't tell you how many years we have not heard from her, so now we finally know about her.

Now to get back to my adventures in wedding planning. We have got the venue, and the dress like I shared earlier. Now it is the gathering of all the talented people to help us. This includes, musicians, pastry bakers, pastors, DJ's, florists just to mention a few. Today, I got some golden glass plates for the fine pastries to be placed at tables, as well as little bird ornaments to be placed on some potted trees that hopefully will be donated from Art Knapp's. I purchased candy jars for the candy bar that my daughter is planning to have. I even bought a table centre piece candle holder that holds seven candles. Thankfully, the store I was at is closing next wednesday at the mall, so everything was seventy percent off. Since I last wrote, we have accumulated a wishing well for the cards and words of wisdom. It is truly precious, stands quiet high, and is custom made, pure white. We also accumulated a love seat, that I have to touch up with paint. It was my girls idea to sit in a love seat, so I and my husband drove to Horseshoe Bay one afternoon, to retrieve this beauty. Since then, we purchased five white cushions made in Portugal, which will elevate the young couples behind's a little, so they are in the same height level with their wedding party. A little white paint here and there will make it glamorous. Soon my living room will look like a storage facility. Tomorrow, we will be at a wedding show downtown, putting our names in for a free prize of sorts. I'll let my readers know if my daughter won anything. The selection of the music pieces will be the hardest as we have no clue about the many songs required. One would be for the church as the guests will be seated, one would be for the bridesmaids song, one the bride's prelude, then the bride's entry, then a song for the signing of the registrar with their official names. (Signing your life away?) as some would call it. Then choosing the father and daughter's dance song at the hall. I am dizzy already with preperations. Today one friend sent me a price list of the spirits in Alberta. It just keeps going and going. Tomorrow we will be experimenting with flower arrangements. So, there you have it. All this while the young couple are both in school full time and working.
Distressing to me is the fact that I heard that only the people you invite to the church should we expect at the reception. They say people get offended if you do not invite them to the reception. So , I am visualizing in dread this big beautiful church, three quarters empty, not full because of some interpretation that society has. I personally feel that the wedding is more important then the ceremony, and some folks may not prefer or are not able to come to the reception after. Financially it is not feasable to invite everyone, especially since they have been highschool sweethearts, and touched many lives. Here are some scenarios I read that is interesting:


I am inviting my whole church to the ceremony but only my bridal party and close family and friends to the reception at a different venue. I have looked at venues that hold 700-800 and it costs just $6,000-$7,000 just to RENT the facility that's not counting the cake and punch to feed 700-800 people and decorations and favors and all that stuff. My wedding budget is $8,000 do that would be my whole budget right there just for the reception. So I don't think it's rude at all. People will understand especially if you are on a budget and can't afford to feed 800 people,

i dont think it's rude at all! the wedding is the most important thing. i've been invited to just the wedding and didnt take offense. simply state "due to the intimate nature, the ceremony is invitation only. thank you for sharing in the beginning of the new chapter in our lives."

Sorry but it is very rude to invite poeple to the church and then not to the reception. If they're good enouogh friends to witness you exchanging vows, they're good enoough to celebrate with you at a reception. Or maybe you're just ensuring that the church is filled so that you can look popular? OR get more wedding gifts? Couples (brides?) are getting far too self-centred these days. It's a big day for sure, but show some manners. Whatever you decide to do, make sure it's clear on the invittion, then poeple can make up their own minds.

I think this statement is self centered. Everyone works on a budget and everyone can't afford to have every single person in their life at the reception. The ceremony is the most intimate part of the wedding celebration. If your "friends" don't understand that you can't afford for them to be at the reception then why bother inviting them. I have attend weddings were I wasn't invited to the reception and I was fine with that because I was genuinely happy for the bride and groom and wanted to give my support and love. As far gift giving, no one says you can't come to the wedding without a gift. And if you only give a gift expecting a free meal afterwards then was that gift sincere. People are too self centered. Do whatever you want with YOUR wedding. Those who truly care would like to bet there for you no matter what the situation is. That's what true love is.
 So we'll see what becomes of this. I think you can see both sides of the debate.


 In the meantime, I have called the large garbage collectors to take some of my things away, broken things that are cluttering my home. A gardening table from my back yard and a nice recliner except it would cost too much to fix the vinyl/leather on it. Hopefully, someone can give me a hand to haul it to the front, as neither my husband or myself are in a position to lift anything heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment