Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Tried to help a homeless Man who did not Want to be helped

Yesterday, I saw a homeless man who had a 5 inch cut ozzing from his leg. His name is Garry, a homeless man; recently evicted for being short 45 dollars from his rent. So since I had powerful antibiotics for such an infection as his, I quickly asked my husband to bring me some, along with some gauze, and an antibiotic cream, and some food and drink for him. I have a very kind hearted husband who without asking followed my directions. Upon taking him to the hospital, he offered to cut my grass for $20 dollars. I told him that as soon as his leg is healed he can do that. After getting fast tracked in emergency, the doctor gave him two different kinds of antibiotics, one exactly that I gave him 4 hours ago (it took us that long to get to be seen by the physician-since fast track only opens at 11 am in the morning). Garry, also got 6 morphine pills for his pain.  Upon calling the social worker to find him accomodations at a shelter, or better yet, try to get his old place back, he went out for a smoke. I thought nothing of it, since he went out for a smoke once before.
The only difference was that this time he did not return. At least I was hoping to have him wait for the social worker to instruct him about a shelter for the night, and allowing me to take him to a pharmacy to get his prescriptions filled. Instead, he fled. My jaws dropped as I realized he was not outside for a smoke. The social worker found me at the entrance of emergency. She told me that I did everything I could for him, but some people do not wish to be helped. I knew that Garry would not have the means to keep his wound clean without housing. It is only a matter of time before he will curl up from the pain if he failed to fill those prescriptions, and follow the instructions without flaw.

As a footnote, when the lab took blood from him, I noticed that his arm was bruised, and the lady had to take a sample close to his wrist. Now, I believe he simply wanted the morphine for his addiction, or perhaps to sell on the streets. Maybe a bicycle pedal did not create the injury. Perhaps he even self inflicted his own wound to get some of these meds; since I heard that he was at the hospital earlier that day as well. In any case, I was dumped by a homeless man. Recovery and wellness was not something he desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment