Friday, May 25, 2018

I must post more origial content

I have just been alerted to the fact that I have to put up more original posts than I have been doing because of some European law (cookies).  So I will attempt to do that, despite the fact that on many days my zeal is not there.
Spring has beckoned my time and efforts in the garden. Since Deborah's dad is not doing well physically, most of the outside work has fallen on me. We got a small electric lawn mower, and parted with our gas one where it is more needed. You probably know that my entire back yard except for one small strip of grass is bark mulch into which I plant everything. So, now I basically transplant my tomatoe plants etc from the pots into the soil. After 4 years of having deciduous mulch dumped in the back yard, the soil is rich and black. The Mason bees have done their job and pollenated all the fruit trees, and berry bushes.
Yesterday, I brought into my kitchen the first of the strawberries, and lettuce and radishes and rhubarb.
If you recall last summer we dug in the front yard to fix a burst water pipe; well this year we are digging in the back yard.  We are attempting to fix a raised garden bed which has been rotted since we moved in here ten years ago. With no skills to brag about I am praying that help will arrive to assemble all that terraced area. The trench is dug, the stones are pressure washed. We will be using discarded wood garage door slabs to replace the rotted retaining walls. Trust me, I was hopeful that we would not have to do stuff like this anymore, but we have to carry on carrying on.

No comments:

Post a Comment