Saturday, August 11, 2018

A Talk with Deborah's Piano Teacher

Deborah's former piano teacher asked me the other day, what I have learned about suicide since Deborah has passed 4 years ago this month. I told her that a person who is removed and is empty inside can possibly get to that phase of their lives of removing themselves from the life they know. This emptiness may have endured for a long time, even, and often the person cannot give a reason as to the timing of their initial emptiness. Suicide can affect all walks of life. Suicide often occurs with people who seem to have everything going for them. My second daughter who works at the pediatrics emergency ward found this out from the psychologists who are working close by to emergency. The ones to really watch are those who seem to have a reason to live; family, hobbies, and values that the world idolizes such as affluence, looks and youth.
It is striking that having been around families who have lost their children to suicide, only makes me think that their commonality was the attempt to strive for perfection. Ofcourse, this may not be the case at all. Chronic pain may the the other driving factor, or loneliness, or a failed love relationship. I am sadly, never really going to put my finger on it; however it seems to be a combination of all of these factors.

No comments:

Post a Comment