Saturday, January 16, 2016

Went to Doctor

I went to the doctor this week. Showed him some of our family photo's with all of us on it. He has never seen us all together, so I thought he would be more aware of how important Deborah was to us. As I waited in the room, the receptionist came in and we started to talk. She said she has given up on her daughter, who is on a wrong path.. She said she fears, that something awful will happen to her. When I told her that Deborah jumped off the bridge, she confided in me that her daughter is taking medication for her mental illness. Then our conversation was cut short. It seems like more and more people are touched by mental health. I don't know what the ratio is, but it is high. I just learned this week that adolescent psyche ward in a hospital is quiet amazing. They have a teacher come in to do homework with them, they prepare a meal to share with staff, they go for a walk together, among other things. Medication is not used as frequently. The interesting thing is that children who are fourteen can decide if they want their parents and families to visit them or not. Some children are trade workers, others have unstable family homes, and feel safest in this facility. The stories are endless. I believe that this is the most gentle of treatments a young person can have, if they are pre adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment