Tuesday, July 16, 2019

I'm going to be a guest speaker

I have recently been asked to share about my process of grief since Deborah passed almost 5 years ago. A local hospice who holds several bereavement programs has asked me to be the guest speaker to parents who have lost loved ones to suicide. There are only 7 attendees at the moment, but their group hopes to be of support for a longer duration. My 26 year old daughter has mentioned that the worst thing I can tell them is that things will get better in time. The fact is that is doesn't get better, the pain may change from day to day. Seeing, Deborah's friends in long term relationships, completing their schooling, and becoming adults is the sweetest but hardest thing for me to see. Her passing 5 years ago this August has completely floored us, but I feel that I am not as afraid to share, and speak openly about mental health and suicide. No matter what someones tragedy may be, a life and death illness, a tragic accident, homicide, or substance addiction the pain is real and likely born only with the help of a Higher Power. Just seeing my previous post with the murdered girl reminds us of how suddenly our world may change at the blink of an eye. Our real and only consolation is that we will see our loved ones again, and never ever be seperated from them. If you would like to share something that I should talk about in the group, please comment. It would be very helpful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment