Sunday, December 16, 2018

Missing Someone at Christmas

The other day I spent six hours on my feet learning to bake from a mother who has lost a son this year to suicide.  She invited me over and I couldn't be more happier with her hospitality. She truly picked 3 cookie recopies that were traditional and delicious. I think the key is patience. She had the tiniest of cookie cutters... I suppose to give way to the ginger cookies rising from the baking soda. My cookie cutters were 5 times the size of hers... so I will be now shopping for the tiny cutters. Life got so busy before Deborah passing that I often just bought the cookies. Now with a grand baby on the way I think us girls will be more inclined to do some actual baking. I wish I could share the cookies with you. One had an egg white and walnut moose on the top, the others were little ginger cookies with a walnut slice on the top. The others were moon crescents that were also dusted with icing sugar.
I don't believe we will have a white Christmas here by the Lower Mainland of British Columbia Canada. Sadly, we don't have snow tires so we cannot go up to the mountains to enjoy the snow. I am reminded of all the years of tobogganing, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing with the children. They were avid snow plowers also. I made sure we had several shovels so everyone can assist with the sidewalk and driveway shovelling.  I will never forget Deborah's rosy cheeks, and how she built snowmen with her sisters. Now fading memories except for some pictures I have to dig out. One of her friends works in Miami, and will not be coming back for Christmas. It is going to be difficult without them visiting us.
One of the songs that was sung at Willingdon Church last night was in honor of those we loved, and how Christmas will be very sad without them. Our only comfort is knowing that they are in the arms of Jesus, and that we will one day see them.. In the twinkling of an eye we shall be changed and be like them. Ohh how I can't wait for that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment