Friday, February 6, 2015

Reconciliation Looming

I have some excellent news to share. It has to do with a door that has opened, and hearts that have healed. It is only by the grace of God that I am now on talking terms with my mother. She extended the torch of peace by writing to me first, after many years. Since my father has passed in 2010, we have rarely spoken, and when we did it was a one sided conversation or yelling. It is true, that God will even make your enemies as your friend in His time.

Along side my many years of persecution from my family because of my faith and walk with Jesus, I was the black sheep of the family. It was very lonely, having survived a divorce in my early twenties, a divorce of abandonment by my now ex-international fugitive  husband< (see previous blogs). Then for many reasons, my parents showed great support and affection towards my sister. She was not just geographically closer, but she had a daughter who lived nearby the grandparents, unlike mine who were thousands of miles away. I could never understand why a daughter who was living a life not honoring God was preferred over me.

No matter the history, I had a chance to talk to my mom on the phone on her birthday this February. She seems to carry on a conversation really well, and still lives independently, and drives her own van. I rejoice that she not only shared about her life, but she also was inquisitive about our family. She wishes she could come to the wedding about to take place this summer, but she feels flying would be too much. She will send a gift in the mail, in the meantime for the young couple. She even remembered everyone's birthday with a token of a small gift. She shared how she gets help with her housework, and in the garden. She regrets that her tenant will be moving back to Turkey this summer, and she will be all alone again. What was funny and terrifying at the same time was that she has plans on climbing to the roof top to give orders as to it's repairs. I suggested that at 74 yrs of age, she should not be doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment