Monday, September 29, 2014

My History

I'm fluent in Hungarian. I came to Canada in 1970, leaving Budapest with my sister and parents. We escaped from the former satellite country of the Soviet Union. I barely missed having to learn Russian. I had a happy childhood, growing up in a large home, with a fruit orchard. My grandparents lived close to the Russian border in Fenyeslitke, where we had the vineyards, and apple orchards.The cows found their way home from the pastures.  I left 31 first cousins there, when we got our visas to flee the country. After staying in Zirndorf, Germany for 6 months as refugees, we immigrated to Ontario, Scarborough. Attending a Catholic school and learning the language were the primary achievements for a 10 year old. At the age of 18, I married my first husband, who abandoned me for his joy rides on a Harley Davidson. Later, just a year ago, I found out he became an international fugitive. Remarkably, God protected me from such a character after all. After spending 5 years alone, and becoming a believer in Jesus, I met my husband of 27 years, an Albertan man who was nicknamed "Flash" for his fiery red hair...maybe. I think he had that nickname for walking quickly as his posture stands at 6'4". We had four wonderful girls in our marriage, and have battled multiple illnesses, fires, floods. We engaged our children in Christian school, while I worked as a food service supervisor, at Children's hospital. After working my way up in seniority to an almost full time job, I got laid off under the liberal government with a multitude of food service, housekeeping, logistics, and landscaping personnel. I was the primary bread winner, as my husband suffered from Chron's disease from the age of 22, which is an auto-immune disease, starting in the bowels. We striked along Oak street with all of our daughters, instilling a valuable activist lesson in them. We had our children in choirs, enjoying productions such as the "Sound of Music", and Christmas Cantata's. They were in symphony's playing their violin,they all learned to swim, in an outdoor, Co-op pool, thanks to me. They even learned to drive cars as adults, thanks to me. They learned to ice skate, thanks to me. They learned to read and write thanks to me. As a mother, my life entailed that of any mother's adventures, being the nurse, nanny, teacher, bookkeeper, chaperones, music teacher, counselor, advocate, speech therapist,cook, etc.Family was the fiber of our motivation, to excel as parent's and give unprecedented advantage to our daughters in the midst of a cruel, and often unfair world. Bartering for services was as natural as breathing. With the passing of my Deborah, my heart is broken.


No comments:

Post a Comment