Saturday, July 29, 2017

My usual trip to Lonsdale

Today, I took my student on a tested trip to the Waterfront station by skytrain, and then Sea Bus to Lonsdale Market in North Vancouver. Seeing the two Bridges from the Train, and Sea Bus; The Patullo from which my girl Deborah jumped, and the Lion's Gate Bridge  from the Sea Bus, made my heart stop again. All I could see was the shoreline where her body was found. As much as I tried to avoid seeing where she must have jumped from, I underestimated when I looked, thinking that we had passed the bridge already and we were in New Westminister. So again, sadly, I saw the area on the pedestrian walkway where Deborah must have jumped. Her third anniversary is coming up August 18. I know her friends are already preparing for the candle vigil under the bridge.
I am not going. To me it is too turbulent of a spot to give me any healing or comfort. Then I watched the Lion's Gate. So many people who have taken their lives from there, painfully passed on the pain to the surviving families.  Basically, their bodies will wash out to the ocean with very little chance of providing any closure to the families. How sad. This carries on, without any reports on the news. It carried on during the day or night. Taxis stop in the middle of the bridge, letting the troubled customers out, or some even drive themselves to the middle of the bridge with their own vehicles. So continually I struggle with bridges; all bridges.
We had a bowl of soup there, watched some dancers perform who attend school at Lonsdale, and bought some dream catchers from South America. I was exhausted by the time we got home. I slept, then got up to water the grass seed sprinkled on my front yard. The water leak is fixed, now waiting for the grass seeds to grow back.

No comments:

Post a Comment