Friday, May 27, 2016

Deep Friendship, What is it?

Deep Friendship, what is it? I'd like to know. Today a friend of almost 30 years calls me to say that she couldn't understand what I was saying during a part of our last conversation on the phone, and that because I asked to be excused to eat lunch at 2pm, she felt that this was rude. She listed all the things she has done for me over the many years, prayed for us, was kind to us, visited us, but now, she feels that she can no longer be my friend. Earlier, I called her and a German neighbor picked up her phone.. Not realizing that I was on the other end, as he was yelling at my friend Rosa. (I know the man as he built our fence for us about 6 years ago; who quoted us a price then hired another helper who we were supposed to pay extra, without even our approval) He was arguing with her,  saying how shabby her telephone was, and that it was worth 2 dollars.. at which point I hung up my telephone. About an hour later, it is she who calls me and tells me the above reasons for ending our friendship. My children know her from childhood, as on occasionally she too would speak on the phone with them. So here is my 82 year old friend ending our friendship.. I think the world has gone nuts.. I gently told her that I thank her for letting me know her feelings and that she will be in better company with the man who was yelling at her , and her unsaved, (ignorant) daughter.. I basically kindly said  that the three of them could be happy and enjoy each other's company.. What else is there to say? She did not consider the brashness of the man in her room, who I overheard talking. She said they've known each other for years, and this is just his temperament.. Honestly, over 3 decades, we have had our moments of no phone calls, for instance when she went to Italy for 2 years, or when I suggested that I am aware her daughter was a lesbian.. (which she is). So now finally, I think this is it... I will not talk with her on this side of the universe. She can burden others with all her pain, and sorrowful life..She was also my hard to understand friend due to her accent, who would be very loud on the telephone (perhaps because her hearing is going- has tinnitus, a horrible horrible condition)

Understanding Tinnitus -- the Basics

What Is Tinnitus?

Tinnitus (pronounced ti-ni-tis), or ringing in the ears, is the sensation of hearing ringing, buzzing, hissing, chirping, whistling, or other sounds. The noise can be intermittent or continuous, and can vary in loudness. It is often worse when background noise is low, so you may be most aware of it at night when you're trying to fall asleep in a quiet room. In rare cases, the sound beats in sync with your heart (pulsatile tinnitus).

Tinnitus is very common, affecting an estimated 50 million adults in the U.S. For most people, the condition is merely an annoyance. In severe cases, however, tinnitus can cause people to have difficulty concentrating and sleeping. It may eventually interfere with work and personal relationships, resulting in psychological distress.
Although tinnitus is often associated with hearing loss, it does not cause the loss, nor does a hearing loss cause tinnitus. In fact, some people with tinnitus experience no difficulty hearing, and in a few cases they even become so acutely sensitive to sound (hyperacusis) that they must take steps to muffle or mask external noises.

I think I have been more than a friend, running to answer her calls and pleas for prayer and comfort, look up real-estate for her that she never intended to purchase. Do google searches for her, as she does not know how to use a computer and so on and so forth. For many years I considered her a lot like my mom, even her name is that of my mom's. I thought we could work together, build a business, or even live together so the children would have a grandparent figure in their lives.. But no. She never thought of it that way.. , one day she told me.. Her loyalty is to her unsaved, atheist daughter, who has often taken advantage of her and despised her for her faith. The hours and hours I have been robbed from my family, so I could minister to her is only countable by our Lord and no one else.. So it is.. I respect her wishes, and realize that because of her recent limitations with walking and so on, I cannot blame her or hold anything against her.. She is simply aged, and has been totally engrossed in herself and her aches and pains.  If anything, I hope I learned from her not to impose, and be a pity queen to others as I age.  Life is too short to ponder, and reflect on all the why's in life.. It hurts for a time, but we must move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment