Sunday, January 29, 2017

Deborah's Friend Shares


One of Deborah's friends who speaks about her experience with Mental Illness.

News Feed

It's Bell Let's Talk Day.. A day where we break down the stigma of mental health. Mental health is something I whole heartedly stand up for and is a dream of mine to speak at schools about it and promote awareness. Those that know me, know that mental health is something that I have had to cope with in many ways.. I have lost close friends to the illness and have suffered greatly from it myself. When I was in Gr.11 I witnessed a hit and run car crash and what I didn't know was that started my PTSD. It wasn't until the 1st day of Grade 12 when we lost William Thornton that it got really bad. I had seen him walking home and thought to go out and ask him how his day was, instead I decided not to because he had put in his headphones. The next day was when I learned that less then an hour after he was gone. Although the situation was not the sole reason for my depression it had a big impact. I had convinced myself that had I gone out things would have been different, had I said hello could it have saved him. I began to take responsibility even though it likely would of just been postponed... I became depressed after I couldn't handle everything that had pilled up on me. I started taking everything personally and started to withdraw from people that were once my best friends. I had started cutting my wrists because I didn't think I was allowed to cry. I cut 2-3 times a day hiding it from everyone. I had confided in a friend Jaden Dobsin who ultimately told our youth leader that had called my parents. I remember the day the phone rang and I was called up stairs. I knew what it was about and I knew the pain I was about to put my parents through. I continued to struggle with depression and cutting for the rest of the school year and into the summer. I went to camp with the youth group and heard Jason speak, I remember still struggling a lot and thought how does he know, it's like he was talking directly to me. I sat at the end of the dock contemplating everything that had happened and realized i couldn't do it on my own anymore, he came down and found me and I spoke with him about it and the next night was the first time I admitted I had a problem out loud. I got help and went to a counsellor that helped me stop cutting but when I turned 19 it had started again. I used to describe it as if it were my nicotine I was addicted to it. I started drinking every weekend and partying to the point I only had vague memory's I became friends with people I only later found out were going to shatter my whole world. It wasn't until I moved to Ontario and started dating the love of my life Addi Smythe that I figured my life out, got away from all the toxic people and places. I had visited my best friend at the time who had also moved to Ontario in London for his birthday, we again got drunk like we always did but I had changed. He pinned me down as his friend assaulted me thus sending me into another downward spiral. I have since gotten the help I need and am thriving in my new life with dreams and goals that I'm continually exceeding. The help I've gotten has allowed me to deal with my issues in healthy ways so upon learning of Deborah Gordon passing away I was able to deal with my emotions appropriately for the first time in a long time.... there are parts of my story I often leave out and many don't know of but it is so important to break the stigma, to let others know there is help out there that there is a future when it feels like there isn't one. Everyone knows someone that has struggled, it shouldn't be one day a year, it should be everyday. Let's break the stigma of Mental Disorders. ❤️ #bellletstalk

No comments:

Post a Comment