Monday, February 26, 2024

Coin shop excursions

Over the last, I was going to say few, many years I have been going to coin shops and asking if they had any old foreign currencies. Some did, some did not and some remembered me and looked further into their shelves or safes occasionally finding an odd bill or so.

We would chat and in the end I would end up buying the old beat up, dirty and least valuable ones for pennies or a couple dollars at most. During those memorable times I kept true to form and held onto my position that someday, someday soon, some of these pieces of old paper would be worth something again. An eye would be raised in skepticism at my profound and highly unlikely proclamations and we would laugh together thinking it would be nice if that fantasy were to happen just like the thought that silver or even gold might jump into an amazing value over night. 

This collecting, I have been patiently doing, is a nice and enjoyable hobby in which conversations are fun, enlightening at times and almost always lends toward my bringing home some more colourful papers to my collection. It is of interest to note that most of these will most likely have little to no RV value while some just may prove my proclamations true. 

There is a wee bit of tangible excitement that persists in my mind, a child’s excitement at Christmas knowing there are hidden unknowns within the carefully wrapped presents under the tree would be an apt description of this malady, which keeps my hopes for the RV alive. I have a couple contenders, long shots, outliers if you will that I am keeping special attention to. Will they be redeemable or perhaps even revalued? Who knows? I certainly don’t.

In the end, if what we hear is true, maybe just maybe one or more of these old dirty pieces of paper will allow my wife and I to buy a home we can call our own. And if Christmas wishes could ALSO (HINT HINT Universe, Karma….) come true the little boy in me wants a big shiny sports fishing boat too.

No comments:

Post a Comment