Sunday, February 17, 2019

Yesterday at the Orpheum

Image may contain: indoorThe last time I was at the Orpheum was about 22 years ago when the Suzuki violin students had a joint performance here in Vancouver. My daughter who is now 28 was on stage and played her pieces of the first book of Suzuki along with many other students. I still remember sitting in the audience with my other three girls watching as she stood strong and tall in her pink tul dress. As the song pieces got more difficult there was fewer and fewer students on the stage. At that time I did not realize that the violin would be such an important part of our lives; or music should I say. She would continue to play another 10 years, which included at least 6 years in the Surrey Symphony Orchestra. Deborah her youngest sister would also achieve level 5 Conservatory in Violin, and level 8 in piano. Such great memories, as we sat in the front seat, having a great profile view of the amazing conductor and the primary violinist. We heard the Magic Flute by Mozart, as well as Brahms incredible pieces.
In contrast with the beauty of the Orpheum Theater, and the fine performances, the filth on Granville street etched hard in my memory, as we walked to the Skytrain Station. Countless, homeless, beggars, weekend musicians and line ups to the Commodore pub, police cars littered the street. It was as if I stepped into a city called Sodom. Young women in mini skirts, the smell of pot, and alcohol everywhere was obtrusive. One comfort was having some young folks give us their seat on the train for us 'old folks'. I slept in this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment